Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Strawberry Fields

Can you believe it?  I caught a cold in Florida!!!  I don't have contact with a lot of people, so I will just plain blame Jeff for it, lol.  The big difference is that I had the ability to rest and get rid of it instead of it going almost instantly into pneumonia.  What a huge difference!

At the beginning of the month, we went to the Florida Strawberry Festival in Lake City.  My friend George, called while we were there and couldn't believe that there were so many strawberries the first week in March.  Jeff had told me that when he was mountain biking he could smell the strawberry fields.

I have always loved fairs and festivals.  I love the food that is bad for you, the arts and crafts, the barkers, the animals,and all the sideshows.  Having grown up in Minnesota, the annual trip to the Minnesota State Fair was a high point in the year, even though it signaled the end of summer.  I have missed that so much.

Now that I'm older, the midway doesn't fascinate me as much, but I still love the whole fair atmosphere.  The Strawberry Festival had the same fair atmosphere.  The biggest difference was that a lot of the fair foods had strawberries incorporated.  YUMMY!!!

Besides strawberry shortcake, there were chocolate dipped strawberries, fruit kabobs, fruit pizza and strawberry funnel cakes.  We were mildly well-behaved and limited ourselves to strawberry shortcake, strawberry funnel cake and as you can see in the picture, corn dogs.

The quilts were amazing and inspired me!  I used to sew quite a bit and I think now is a good time to start that again.  Jeff went to MTB Weekend every year for 16 or 17 years and got a t-shirt every year.  I took them away before he wore them to shreds and I think I will make a quilt out of them.

We also saw a hypnotist-comedian who did some interesting mind tricks, something fun to watch while we ate more food.  When we first arrived there were some young girls performing Celtic music and dancing.  It made me miss my "pretend" son Adam Wolf.

Strawberries Rule!!!





1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of making a quilt out of Jeff's old t shirts. What a great way to remember things.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete