Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Farewell to Fredericksburg

We left Fredericksburg yesterday to move on to Selma, North Carolina.  We really enjoyed the town and the people are extremely friendly, but we wouldn't want to live there.  The traffic was too much like home, lots and lots and at all hours of the day.

Jeff met some great guys to ride with through FAMBE (Fredericksburg Area Mountain Bike Enthusiasts).  They were great hosts for him.  I always relax a bit more if I know he is riding with someone that knows the area.  I know it's hard to get lost with all the GPS technology, but it just seems that I am a worrier, lol.  I'm working on that.

Our sightseeing was a little bit curtailed in quantity, but more than adequate in quality.  We ended up spending a lot more time at the Museum of the US Marines.  It is such a cool museum.  I had no idea of the breadth and scope of the Marines during Colonial and Civil War times.  There is a majesty in being surrounded by so much selflessness and courage.

We also toured the Rising Sun Tavern, which was once the home of George Washington's brother.  It is one of those places in which the docents stay in character, in this case as tavern wenches.  It's a cute way to learn a bit about life in the Colonial period and have a bit of fun.  Do you know where the terms "mind your Ps and Qs", "bottoms up" and "kingpin" came from?

On Monday, we had lunch at an old-fashioned soda fountain.  Goolrick's Pharmacy is of a dying breed.  Jeff had a "real" cherry coke, with real cherry syrup and I had an actual chocolate malt.  Very sweet and nostalgic.  When I was a little girl, my Grandma would take me to the soda fountain in the Woolworth's.

So, now we have arrived in Selma, North Carolina, a miscalculation on my part.  I really wanted to see Mount Airy, the town Mayberry is based on (from the old Andy Griffith show).  I thought it was much closer to Raleigh than it is, so we will save that for another trip.  However, I do enjoy kicking back with my feet up while Jeff does the driving.  I can't believe the passenger seat in the coach is a recliner!

Missing all our friends, but having a great time.  Keep the comments coming, makes me feel like y'all are here with us.  See, I'm already getting a Southern accent!







No comments:

Post a Comment