Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The First Real Mechanical Problem

Originally this post was going to be about State College, PA and how it probably would not exist were it not for Penn State.  When we left NJ, that was the first place we headed so Jeff could ride Roth Rock (IMBA epic).  We had a beautiful campground, but it made me really nervous.  We had no tv, radio, internet and not even a touch of a cell signal.  Our hot spot couldn't even get us communicating with the outside world.  I wanted to check in with my boss and my daughter so they wouldn't worry if they heard nothing for several days, and I found out pay phones don't really exist any more either; at least not as pay phones.  A calling card is now needed.  I was SOL.

So, since I need the internet to work, we went into State College.  Truly a beautiful college town; hustling and bustling with all the end of the school year parties and activities....and only 20 minutes from our wilderness campground, lol.

Needless to say, I spent a lot of time at the Dunkin Donuts getting my work done.  Jeff managed to hook up with some locals for a good ride.  We will be back!

Currently, (as I am waaay behind on my blogging) we are in NW Arkansas.  One of the major goals of this trip was to meet my sister-in-law in Eureka Springs for her vacation.  She is much hardier than I and rode a motorcycle down here from Minneapolis.  A couple days before we were to meet her, the electrical system in the bus started acting up.  We only had power on one side.  Jeff spent a couple days diagnosing where the problem was and it turned out that our inverter/converter had gone bad.  Boy, for once am I glad we paid for the extended warranty!  Those things are expensive.  The catch is that since it's so expensive, an adjuster needs to see it before we can get it fixed.  We are currently guests of the Camping World in Lowell, AR.  They are letting us be hooked up to their facility while we wait for insurance approval.

This is not fun for Jeff. He has been staying with the bus, learning everything he can about the electrical systems.  By the way, did I mention it is in the 90s here?  Due to the electrical problems, the air conditioning is sporadic.  Fortunately, his dad worked for Northern States Power for many years and taught him a thing or two so he is keeping us in as much comfort as possible.

This is also not all that fun for Colleen.  We met here so we could do sightseeing and spend some quality time together; she spent yesterday sitting in the showroom at Camping World with me.  She got smart today and took her motorcycle out into the Ozarks.  I saw some amazing pictures posted on Facebook, so I know she had a good day.

Me?  I'm a spoiled diva.  I had breakfast with Jeff this morning and then convinced him I was well enough to drive to Starbucks to work, and of course drink coffee and sit in the air conditioning.

I am amazed at Jeff's patience and determination in figuring out what was wrong and what needed to be done to fix it.  I could never have the great life I have now without him.

I am indeed grateful for the family I got when I married  Jeff.  His dad has been a huge help to him and his sister keeps me as sane as I will probably ever be.  She is always great company, in good times and bad.  I tend to forget she is Jeff's sister and think she is mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment