Monday, June 17, 2013

Historical Iron and More Iron!

We felt pretty isolated in Pennsylvania; odd since we were so close to our home base of New Jersey.  The campground was so cool, though.  Tall beautiful trees and hardly any other campers.  There was not water at each individual sight, but we were close enough to a spigot to fill up as we needed to.



For me, the best part was that once again, we were actually staying in a historical park; oddly enough, another ironworks.  I have learned so much about iron blast furnaces and can even tell you how "pig iron" got its name. I LOVE HISTORY!!!



We stayed at the Greenwood Furnace State Park.  Our sightseeing was done within the confines of the park because all the history I needed was there!  We saw the iron furnaces, one of which had had a significant portion restored.  We also toured the iron master's house as well as the bookkeeper's.  These are usually the two nicest homes within the ironworks.  Who knew a bookkeeper could be so important?  In the late 1800s the glow from the blast furnaces could be seen for miles around.


If you look close enough, in the picture below, you can see a black snake outside the blacksmith shop.  I don't like snakes, I am very much a sissy that way.


Hmmm, I wonder if I will see more iron forges on our journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment