Monday, June 17, 2013

Shenandoah River Valley - Amazing!!!

Jeff wanted to ride the Southern Traverse IMBA epic, located in the amazingly beautiful Shenandoah Valley.  We stayed at the Shenandoah Valley campground which was filled with nice and friendly people and located alongside the Middle River.  They had all the amenities for a non-camper like me, including cable TV.  And best of all...they had bunnies!!!  There were bunnies everywhere!!!



The campground also had tubing along the river, with a nice waterfall at the end.  I didn't go tubing, but it was so nice to walk along the river, seeing the bunnies and squirrels frolicking.  I wished my daughter and her family were there; I know my granddaughter Deanna would go bonkers for the bunnies.  Jeff and I had to Facetime his sister Colleen from the waterfall.  We wanted to share that with her.  If you look close, there is a turtle sunning himself on the log in the middle of the river.



The campground was also close to Staunton, Virginia, the birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, one of our most cerebral presidents.  Jeff and I went on a tour of the Wilson birthplace and his Presidential library and drove around Staunton.  The town had so many buildings from the late 1800s and early 1900s in the Federalist style.  I started learning a bit about US architecture and feel a need to learn a lot more.




I have always been fascinated by Wilson, especially as President of Princeton and Governor of New Jersey.  He may have been before his time in that he really was a man of thoughts and not only a politician.  I wonder how he would fare as a politician in today's environment.

We found the cutest art in the middle of Staunton, Virginia.  As we were driving to the Farmer's Market (a weakness of mine) we passed a huge flowerpot and watering can display on the median at an overpass.  It was a garden dedicated to a local woman, Barbara Hunter Grant, absolutely gorgeous and a great surprise in the middle of a commercial district.



There is still so much to see in the Shenandoah Valley, it is on my list of repeat trips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment