Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What I Did Over Summer Vacation By Jeffrey M. O'Hara

I crashed several weeks ago on a "Bro" ride. Lots of stops and starts and I just lost focus. Well I damaged my left shoulder quite badly. Just short of dislocating it and the humerus could have had a hair line fracture (my 4th worst bike injury).  I had arrived in NJ last April in fairly good shape, which quickly went away. We needed to refill the coffers after some repairs to the motorhome, end of last year.  It was not so much the repairs, as most, but not all, of that was covered by our extended warranty. It was the extra time spent in hotels and eating out that drained the bank account the fastest.  We planned on staying in NJ for five months, which turned to over six.  The plan was also, for me to work part time so I could do some other repairs and bus maintenance. With Cycle Craft opening another store, this quickly became 60 hours a week and did not taper down until John Nicholson came to our Jefferson store to be the Service manager. Ironically, just the week before my crash, John had messed up his right arm somewhat worse than mine.  We both worked through it, though.  As for bus repairs and maintenance, my damage did limit and slow down what I could do.  There were several times that I moved the wrong way or too quickly, that made me want to cry!

Over the summer, I rode when I could, but I soon got tired and slow.  When I was at my most rundown and my race bike was in for major surgery, I bailed on a 50 mile race.  I was just starting to get some good training in the few weeks before I damaged myself.

I was hoping to just be a mechanic for the summer so I could become more efficient, C'est la vie.

While everything did not quite go according to plan, I am happy about many things too.
Like"
Tammy has been walking or riding her bike as regularly as life would allow.
Tammy has started to learn to use exercise to help balance stress.
Tammy is proving doctors wrong by still being alive and not in constant pain!
Kim Fury got back on the bike.
Kim let me show her some handling techniques.
I got to ride with many from my Jersey crew, Tom, Rich,Tommy, Jorge, Igor,, Ryan, Kris, George b., Njck, Eric, Dom, Morgan, Blane, DR J, Doug and for the first time in many years Brendan and many others.
We got to see all kinds of our Jersey peeps. (Just wished there was more time)
We put on two really good road cycling events, Hillier than Thou and Tour de Long Valley (Thanks Mark, Chris,Igor and Rob)
I had an awesome trip to Vermont with Rich, Jorge and Tom
We fall but we get back up.

Special thanks to Rich and Cheryl and Tom and JoAnn and Jessi, who helped in too many ways to list!


Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tamy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy< Tammy, Tammy, Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy Tammy





2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good summer. Will be envious all winter as you post rides while we freeze our butts off here in NJ. John K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm is good, but I do miss some winter activities.

    ReplyDelete