Sunday, October 26, 2014

On the Road Again!


Good afternoon!  This is my view, right now, as I sit at the picnic table and write.  It really doesn't get much better than this, does it?  77 degrees with a great cool breeze off the lake really agrees with me.



We finally, after some setbacks, left NJ on Monday.  We got to Roanoke, VA on Wednesday and stayed at a most unusual RV camp, McFarland's Overnite.  It was perfect for what we wanted this time, just a place to park while Jeff got some riding time in and we got to visit with his friend, Carter...sticking our toes back in the waters of travel, so to speak.

It was a trailer park with about  half a dozen RV parks along the outside.  Lots of highway noise, nothing to see scenery-wise but convenient to Carvin's Cove for Jeff to ride.

The day we got there, Jeff took me to Carvin's Cove to walk/hike.  It was a fire road with lots of hills so I felt like it was hiking.  Absolutely beautiful scenery and no one else to be found (on a weekday).  It let me burn off some pent up stress.  Also, I always think it's cool to see some of the places Jeff goes to ride.  This was the easy stuff, so not exactly where he would ride, but close enough.

We had dinner with Jeff's friend, Carter, Thursday night.  He told us we needed to see the Roanoke Star before we left.  100 feet tall, on the top of Mill Mountain, it can be seen for miles.

Overlooking downtown Roanoke




He put in some long rides on Wednesday and Thursday while I took care of some domestic chores and walked around the trailer park.  Friday was another travel day, but a much shorter one.

We are camping at Bandit's Roost on the Kerr Scott Reservoir in Wilkesboro, NC.  This has got to be one of the most beautiful places we have parked!  This is the first time I have wanted to keep all our shades and curtains open all day long!  I love to be near water and the lake is about 100 feet outside our door!  We got the end campsite so only have had one neighbor, everything else is a panoramic view of the lake.



We came here to see two of Jeff's Bulldog teammates do a metric century mountain bike race starting at Warrior Creek.  So we also got to see two of our NJ friends, before we even had time to miss them.  Tom and Ryan arrived here shortly after we did, so Jeff did a quick spin with them.  Jeff has ridden here before so he really enjoyed riding with them on trails that were a bit familiar to him. 




While they did that, I took my bike out on a tour of the campground.  It wasn't a long ride, but it's all rolling hills.  I still have not gotten good at climbing, but it was so fun!  It wasn't a long ride, but I really enjoyed it.  On Friday, the campground was filling up for the weekend.  Tents, RVs, kids and dogs everywhere!

We had a nice pre-race dinner with Tom and Ryan and tucked ourselves into bed pretty early.  We did take the time for an after dinner walk.  There was no moon, but the sky was so clear and the stars so bright.  The air was just a touch crisp!

Saturday was one of the best days ever!

We woke up to a super foggy lake.  Breathtakingly beautiful!  The mountain bike race went directly past our campground twice, in a spot that was easy for me to get to.  It was so fun to be able to cheer the guys on and ring our cowbells so they knew we were there for them.  After watching them come through the first time, I went back to the campsite with the intention of working. 



Hahaha, that didn't happen.  I did a couple things and then just had to go outside and play!!!  I was tooling around on my bike, hoping I could see the racers across the lake.  No such luck, however, I found some playmates.  There were three neighboring campers (children) riding around the loop on their bikes.  I ended up playing bike tag with the 8-year-olds and having the time of my life!  I never did that as a kid, so I was swooping around and giggling and hiding.  They said it wasn't fair because my bike was better and faster.  I pointed out that I was waaaaayyyyy older.  Since I was "Grandma" age, they decided it was OK.  Their grandma won't play bike tag and "she's like 50 or something."

By the time it was time to ride back up to see the guys pass through again, I was wiped out.  I definitely am not 8 years old, although I felt like it for about half an hour!

We drove over to the finish line of the race just in time to see Ryan, then Tom come out of the woods and onto the last stretch of pavement up to the finish.  They are both such strong riders!  Ryan came in 6th in the Open category and Tom made the podium at 3rd in the 40+ age group.  Prizes were great!  You have to check out his video of the race when he puts it up.  It will either be on this blog or mtbepicrides.com.

We said goodbye to them as they headed out for the long drive back to NJ and their ever supportive families.

Just the best day ever!!!

Today...I have played procrastinator and had quite a bit of work today.  It's mostly done now, so I can sit at the picnic table and share these thoughts.  There are a few people out on the lake, getting in their last bit of fun for the weekend.  Jeff is off on a ride.  The campground is emptying out of folks heading back to reality.

How grateful I am to be here, to be learning more about myself and to have such a wonderful family and friends.

Tomorrow, we are heading to Brevard, NC for a few weeks.  It is still one of my favorite spots of all that we have been to.  This spot, Bandit's Roost, is more beautiful for camping but a bit impractical for day-to-day life.  But, it's all good.  Isn't it now?




No comments:

Post a Comment