Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Challenges Arrived!

One of our reasons for taking this journey was because I was not managing my stress well and it was making me more and more sick. We hoped a change of pace would help. We knew there would be challenges, but I was starting to get nervous because everything was going so well. Typical response for a neurotic woman.

Well we found our challenges over the course of the last week. It started in Birmingham with the slowest Internet connection I have experienced in years. My job, which normally takes me about 25 hours a week took a little over 40 just to do the bare minimum. Made me nuttier than usual. It also made it really tough to work on the blogs for both Jeff and I.

It was a great campground with lots of friendly people and lots off history within the campground itself. It was a real campground, as opposed to some of the RV campgrounds (resorts) we have been at.  As much as I love the smell of a wood fire, the smoke totally overwhelmed me and made me sick for a couple days.

We went to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, a very moving museum, but also very depressing. I carried that with me for a couple days.

We encountered a few other challenges yesterday. Our black water tank didn't want to dump into the sewer. For those of you unaware (as I was until 2 months ago), that's the tank that holds our toilet waste. We really didn't want to take it with us because we knew the next campground didn't have sewers at each site. YUCKY!!!

We also were really low on propane, which fuels our fridge, stove and heat. I conserved by making simpler meals, but that took away one of my stress relievers, cooking.

The last challenge came as we approached our next campground. When we were about 50 miles away, we started noticing a reduction in cell service. We feared the worst for an internet connection.  We entered the Appalachian mountains with a lot of steep grades, narrow roads and multiple switchbacks. It was getting close to sunset and our rig is reeeaaaallly long. My IPad was out of juice and it was getting dark or I would have taken some impressive pictures. I will have to get some later.

The point of this post is that we met our challenges, I managed my stress and the world didn't come to an end. I spent a couple days away from the smoke and felt better. I put the museum experience in perspective. Jeff used some tricks our salesman, Jon Beresford, taught him and deposited our wastes in the sewer. Thank you, Jon! We filled up on propane when we got diesel so we had heat last night and I am back to cooking!!! Jeff did great on the hills and we are in a beautiful campground (although isolated).  We are on top of a mountain and the internet connection is great, considering we are so far away  from anything.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! And I never once thought about giving in! Jeff talked through my anxieties with me and our life is rolling on!  Jeff keeps me going.  He "gets" my neuroses and has dealt with them for so long, he keeps me sane.  I don't know what I would do without him.  I'm pretty sure my life would suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment