Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tallahassee Tales...or is it Tails?



The second day of Tallahassee sightseeing was the Tallahassee Museum.  I surprised Jeff because the museum is an outdoor museum. As we all now know, I am not an outdoorsy person.

Through the whole time at the museum, I missed my daughter,son-in-law and grandkids.  This was the kind of place to hold a family reunion.  There was a display of native Florida wildlife in as close to their natural habitat as you are going to get in today’s society.  They had animal demonstrations with experts that brought different animals out to show (geared to children, so I loved it).  The one we saw was an owl who was at the habitat because he had a broken wing…very cool to see so close.

There was also a general store that was set up as if it was part of a turpentine distillery camp. The display on the back-breaking work involved in making turpentine was fascinating.  The labor camps pretty much made indentured servants of all the laborers and their families.

What really made me miss my family were the Tree to Tree Adventures zip-line courses.  They had them for all ages and levels of ability and I could just see my son-in-law,Sean, howling through the jungle-like vegetation.  I think my grandkids would have loved the ones for the kids as well.  Derek would have been all cool and nonchalant, Dylan would have whaled all over the trees and Deanna would have completely been out of control.  I would love to go back with them someday.

Another aspect that I loved was that there was a path of dinosaur sculptures made out of auto parts. I think Jeff and I took pictures of each one.  The artist was a native to Tallahassee, Jim Gary.  He has since passed on, but left a legacy that families will enjoy for years.

Because it was spring break, there were a good number of families at the museum that day.  I heard one woman talking to her children and it reminded me of my friend, Amy.  She is one of the most amazing women and is one of the most dedicated mothers I have ever met.  This woman was turning all the fun things at the museum into teaching experiences for her children and they had no clue how much they were learning!  Amy would do that effortlessly.

As you can tell, there are lots of people I am missing.  Some friends of ours were in Tallahassee, but we didn’t manage to cross paths.  Rain was a ‘coming and it was time for us to hightail it out of there to Birmingham,Alabama.










No comments:

Post a Comment